My pumpkin pie!


Pumpkin pie!Not really a Greek recipe but one of my favourites! I really love this recipe, especially when I use fresh pumpkin, it tastes so much better! 


Ingredients
for a 9-inch pie pan
1 piece pre-made pie dough
4 cups milk
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter2 cups pumpkin 
2 tablespoons Cornflour, or cornstarch
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whipped cream or icing sugar for topping

Preparation

Place the pie dough down into a (9-inch) pie pan and press down along both the bottom and all sides. Pie dough should excess about 1 inch (2 cm)round the edges of the pie pan. 
Put the pie shell back into the freezer to firm up while you are preparing the filling. 
For the filling, in case you use fresh pumpkin, cut it into pieces and boil them in plenty of water till they soften and fork tender. Drain them and place them in food processor. If you use canned pumpkin, start from next step!
Pour milk in a large pot and add cornstarch and combine until dissolved. Heat the milk over medium heat. 
Beat eggs in a large bowl with sugar. When milk is hot enough but has not started boiling, stir in pumpkin, butter and orange zest. Once it thickens, cover it with the lid and remove it from the heat. Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
Pour the filing into pie shell and cover with the edges that excess round the rim.
Bake in preheated 350° F for 30 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for a couple of hours. Top with whipped cream or icing sugar and cinnamon before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I sooo have to make a pumpkin pie! By the time I get the time to bake one, it will be Christmas already! So nice that you're okay with using canned pumpkin! I am intimidated by all those cooks I see peeling and cutting pumpkins, they make me feel rather inadequate... Canned pumpkin is fine, really! I'll be trying your recipe, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete